Beagle bone cape for CNC machines on KickStarter...
04-16-2016, 11:30 AM
Beagle bone cape for CNC machines on KickStarter...
I was perusing Kickstarter the other day and came across an interesting item. There's a cape that's been developed for the Beaglebone that, according to the information, allows up to 100kHz step rate. It uses machinekit, which is a fork of the standard LinuxCNC. I decided to back the project and thought others here might be interested. As of this writing, there are 5 early-bird slots left at 97.00 euros (plus shipping; if I recall correctly, it added about 19 euros from Germany).

If you're interested, go to Kickstarter and look for "Up to 4 axis Beaglebone black based CNC control".

This gets you the cape, documentation, and the machinekit software. You have to supply the Beaglebone. They do have a couple of levels which include the Beaglebone, drivers, and stepper motors.

I don't need the drivers or steppers, so the cape alone will do fine (if it is fully funded, I'll then go and buy a Beaglebone). I already have a Gecko controller and appropriate steppers for it.

The main reason I'm interested is that, with the recent releases of LinuxCNC, the latency has gotten a bit worse and I can no longer come close to driving my MV3 at its capability and have had to slow the maximum pulse rate down quite a bit. This is mostly due to my using the Gecko, which has a 10x micro stepping.

I figure it's a reasonably priced option until the system is ready from here.

Disclaimer: I am not associated in any way with the creators of this cape, other than being a backer. I get no compensation, other than the satisfaction that someone else may find this useful. If this post is considered inappropriate for the forum, please let me know and I'll remove it.

Michael
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply Return to top