Ballscrews
12-02-2015, 03:26 PM (This post was last modified: 12-02-2015 03:33 PM by jm82792.)
Ballscrews
I have an old A4 with bad screws since the endmill nicked them and I don't have a lathe to work them.
I want a 3d printer, have everything I need sans the screws, and also want low backlash which I know rolled screws will have but it won't increase.
So what should hold me back from those cheaper screws from China for $40 a pop? For CNC they could get dirty but with grease nipples won't they be fine?
I'd save time, have less friction, and a constant amount of backlash. Also they'll cut them to size, and do end machining. So for under $100 why should I not go that route?
Anybody thought of this before?
I thought of buying a cheapo 7"x7" machine from China for the heck of it, but than I realized I could have a little monster going if I fix her up.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply Return to top
12-05-2015, 11:00 PM
RE: Ballscrews
Are you talking about converting your A4 go a 3D printer or building a 3D printer? I looked at adding 3D printing capability to my BBox but finally decided it would be easier to just build a new one or buy a 3D printer kit.
Don
12-06-2015, 02:01 AM
RE: Ballscrews
(12-05-2015 11:00 PM)atwooddon Wrote:  Are you talking about converting your A4 go a 3D printer or building a 3D printer? I looked at adding 3D printing capability to my BBox but finally decided it would be easier to just build a new one or buy a 3D printer kit.
Don
I was thinking about just converting it but you're right that it's probably a big PITA.
On the other aspect I was thinking of just getting it CNC ready again, and not screwing around with the screws. But I don't know how resistant the nuts are to dust and so forth.